Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Never Get Dish!

DISH Satellite TV is a Scam!!! Service goes out all the time, my Fox Soccer Channel never works, if it is cloudy I only get about 10 channels...AND now that I have been a customer for over three months, I need to pay $29.00 if I want a technition to come out to my house and fix any sort of reception problem.

Verizon Where Are You!!!

I came across this article about MD HB1182 the Statewide Cable Franchising Bill. The author of the article is calling for everyone to call in to their state representative and stop this Bill from passing.

Apparently the Bill will eliminate local franchising, do away with franchising fees and get rid of local public access requirements. I am a strong believer in public access channels and cable franchises that work (where the local community holds the cable company accountable to the franchise contract.) However, if there is no accountability for the cable companies then the franchise is essentially a monopoly allowing the cable company to provide exclusive service to an area with no price or other restrictions or competition. (This is the problem with my neighborhood the only cable provider I can choose from is Comcast).

The idea of the public service commission taking over the responsibility of the local community franchisers might not be so bad. This might allow for more competition and may even drive one competitor to offer an internally funded PEG station as a competitive advantage.

Ok I do not completely believe that last statement but I am furious with DISH, do not like Comcast and do not seem to have many other options.

No comments: