Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On Naoum's "Cross Ownership"

I think Naoum's evolution on cross ownership is a fair one, although the amount of hedging makes me think the FCC knew it was sort of doing a bad thing.

Here's the problem from a practical and somewhat emotional perspective. The media-lawyer types wil probably talk about "shared resources" and "increased efficiency" that results from TV and newspapers having a single Dan Snyder or George Steinbrenner looming over the marionette strings. But take an average news story. Given the choice between W-WTF TV reporter Sandee Starheartboobs (who studied communications and cheerleading in college and knows how to make the hombres sit up straight) and Tom Scruff, grumbling scribbler at the Town Sentinel, which medium do you think the average person will pick?

I know, I know, my fishwrap brothers will scream: "In-depth coverage!" So will I. But nowadays, it seems as though a newspaper only stands out when it covers the heck out of a story NO ONE ELSE HAS COVERED. If the newspaper is merely following in the TV's more sensational tracks, it doesn't matter if the paper makes those tracks any deeper in the mud. And don't tell me TV and the papers won't fight over who does what story.

4 comments:

Naoum said...

As per our discussion last night. While you frame the issue as an, on the ground battle between who gets the story, the boob girl or Joe Schmo, I phrase the issue in terms of what is better for the public and society as a whole.

When the TV station fires and lays off 20 reporters and the newspaper lays off 20 reporters, then how do either one of them still have the resources to really go in-depth and cover the real juicy stories. With the benefit of shared revenues and joint advertising models, more important issues can be covered in more depth for the benefit of the public.

Takuan said...

What you're saying makes sense in a technical way. I'm just not sure that the two news operations can be blended or shared as effectively as you think from an operational standpoint. Local TV news stations and newspapers do operate in significantly different ways, I think, although it's difficult for me to be absolutely sure of this. A badly-blended news gathering operation, like a chunky Margarita, ultimately doesn't make anyone happy.

amicusorange said...

I dunno, Naoum. It's all well and good if the decline from multiple sources is a one-way street, but if for some reason (nowadays unforseeable) print media is revitalized, you're left with the long-term conundrum of either breaking up massive cross-media operations, or changing the law back.

Then again, maybe being able to change laws is what allows this country to adapt to changes in the economy so well.

-Thrillington

Naoum said...

“I put my pants on… just like the rest of you, one leg at a time… except once my pants are on, I make gold records"

Thrillington! So great to hear from you. Please entertain use with some classic Christopher Walken impressions, and always feel free to drop an email or a phone call.